Saturday, February 11, 2012

Growing Moss and a larger winter Bouquet

Last post I showed a miniature winter fress moss arrangement, that is happily still growing strong. Today I woke up to beautiful roses from my fiancĂ© Jake. 


Beautiful but needed a little help. I took off in a bathrobe and no shoes to collect thing around the yard. It's rainy and muddy. It's Portland so this was probably not the best idea. My neighbors already kind of give me funny looks anyways. I picked some pine branches and something with thorns on it. (identification would be wonderful) and then went to gather moss. We have a very beaten grape trellis that moss just thrives on. I threw it all together and in minutes had this:



I used a little twine as a bow to keep within the rustic charm. It would be perfect if you were giving this as a gift. The only thing that bothered me is I've been using up so much moss on my projects and I think the garden would look awesome covered in it. So I found this simple recipe on How to grow Moss.

Moss Making Recipe:
  • 2 cups buttermilk or plain yogurt
  • 1 - 1 1/2 cups of chopped-up moss (Fresh or Dried)
Mix until creamy and spreadable. If the mixture is too thick, add a small amount of water. If it’s too thin, add more moss.
Paint the mixture onto the new surface. You can allow the mixture to sit for a day or two, to start the process. You may get mold first, but by about week 6 you should see signs of moss.
I'm going on a moss making spree. This can be added to anything on stones, wood and brickwork. All with little effort and that enchanted forest feel. Will update as the garden starts to come to fruition.  

No comments:

Post a Comment